La Dolce Far Niente

/
0 Comments
The Italians have a concept that they live by that is "La dolce far niente"which means - the sweetness of doing nothing (or as Google translates it to Idleness). I was introduced to this concept in Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love, where an Italian guy explained how the Italians are more relaxed and enjoy the state of doing nothing.

That made me think about our lives in general, and how dependent we became to technology... the first thing we do when we get to work is turning on our computers and opening our Facebook & twitter pages, checking what our friends and enemies did while we were sleeping and only then we can start our daily lives. It's becoming such a scary moment when we realize we forgot our mobile at home, and we feel lost even though we most probably won't even use it.

I remember being happy a few weeks ago because I didn't  log in to Facebook for the entire weekend, which was a huge accomplishment for me having in mind that I spend around 8 hours a day on Facebook and Twitter (as a part of my job).

I really miss the days where socializing meant going out with your friends, hanging out and catching up (the old style)... We stopped expecting phone calls on our birthdays, a Facebook message is more than enough. But what I miss most is the days where I used to spend them "doing nothing"... watching TV or reading a silly book just to pass the time.

Idleness is what I truly look for after a busy day. Just doing nothing and taking a moment and forget about my not-so-important issues for a while.



You may also like

No comments: