Jordanian GPS

/
0 Comments

I have been living I Romania for the past year and the worst nightmare about it, is that I don’t know anything about the geography of Bucharest. I can get along really well with the subway, but I could never go around the city using the car.

So the logical solution would be using a GPS, one might say, but no! this would be the worst thing you can use. It’s not just that the GPS is not up to date and that the streets are a total chaos. It’s because of the GPS itself.

In order to know what I was suffering, you have to know a certain thing about the Romanian language; just like all Latin languages, they tend to speak to second person in plural! which means that you always feel respected where even you go, even if the attitude doesn’t give u that feeling.

So the GPS talks to you that way, which sounds a bit like this “ On the following street, please turn to the right” or “On the following street, please make a sharp turn to the left”
And as you can imagine, you will be already past that turn when she finishes her sentence, and that’s when you will be faced with “wrong route, map reconfiguration” and then start all over again.

And of course the next thing I know is that I start yelling and cursing the GPS and as you might already know, it will not help it shut up

So that made me think how would a Jordanian GPS sound like, and here is what I imagined it would be like:

“Drive straight for around 300 or 400 meters, after Abu el Abed mini market, take your left… when you see a rubbish bin, take your right. Find a place to park, walk around 500 meters and ask around”

Or if you missed your exit it will sound like the following:

“It’s okay dear, 3adi!  Sightseeing! You’ll get to know this area better”

Call me crazy, but I like the Jordanian version better, it’s not that formal, and it makes you feel home!


You may also like

No comments: